Office of Military Training

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills two students due to improperly installed water heater

A landlord responsible for the deaths of two National Chiayi University students has been sentenced to 11 months in jail.

Earlier this year, two university students died due carbon monoxide poisoning. The landlord had installed a propane hot water heater on an enclosed balcony with sealed windows and no air circulation. The carbon monoxide built up and the students were found unconscious and barely alive in the apartment. They were immediately rushed to hospital but still died.

Their landlord has been charged with negligent homicide. The parents of the deceased wanted 5 years for each death, but the judge feels the landlord has shown remorse for the 2 senseless deaths and sentenced him to 11 months in jail. The landlord is also required to pay $100,000 USD in compensation the families.